Wednesday, June 22, 2011

To Dad

Sadly I was nowhere near internet access in order to write this post.
Dad, this is for you.


I wanted to say how thankful I am for this man I get to call my Dad. I am very lucky to have a dad who loves me as much as you do. You are a manly man yet also in touch with your sensitive side. You may be small in stature but your heart is bigger than most and your contagious personality makes you seem 7ft tall. As each year passes I realize how much I love you and just how much you love me too. In high school I used to brush you off and pretend I didn't care. But behind your back I was telling everybody how cool you were and everyone was telling me how cool they thought you were. I see how much people love and respect you and I am proud. You have worked hard for everything you have.

I look up to you so much. You have taught me so many things in life. Everything from how to catch fish, shoot a gun, to how important a good work ethic is and that no matter what, you should always treat people with respect. Your laughter is contagious. You never cease to surprise me with your jokes. I think when you and Mom make each other laugh it is my favorite.

You have suffered much deep loss in your life yet you have kept on living a full life. You were never bashful about your tears. I used to give you a hard time for crying at all my awards ceremonies and graduations but deep down, I knew it was just one more way you showed me you loved me.

I have so many great memories of you taking me fishing and waking me up at 5AM so I could go sit in a deer blind with you. When I was finally old enough to sit by myself I used to secretly wish that you would sit with me. I'll never forget when I shot my first deer and you were more excited than I was. Funny thing about all my pictures is that you are hardly in them because you were (and still are) always the one taking them. I make fun of you but it is fun to know you were behind the camera.



And then that time we were at Inks Lake and I caught that record holding bass. I couldn't even lift it up. You were giddy with excitement.


I used to think you made me do useless things. Like that one summer on the Ranch when you made Ryan and I go out into our 100 acres with brush clippers and clip down cedar trees under the hot Texas sun. Horrible times.  Then there was also that time you and Mom made us build that crazy rock wall. 5 years we built it. I now know that it was all just a ploy to keep us busy and distracted. And like Calvin's dad always says "It builds character."

Thanks for all those times you used to come outside even after a long day at the office to shoot baskets with me in the driveway. I love(d) every minute of it.

Your stories from college and high school never fail to make me laugh. And you saying "Do as I say not as I do."

You love your family better than most. You always make me feel special. Especially on Valentines' Day every year when I would wake up to flowers by my bed that you had put there in the middle of the night while I was sleeping. And even now. You still send them to me. My freshman year of college when you sent them to the Sloans I was so surprised. And I walked around with a smile on my face for days.

Thank you for giving me an example of Jesus' love for me. For being an example to follow always. For that, I will be forever thankful

In short, I am so glad that you are my Dad. Don't think I could say it enough. Can't wait to see you in August!!

love,
me

No comments:

Post a Comment