Sunday, October 17, 2010

Texas Our Texas



This is me majorly procrastinating.

This is also me writing a blog post about the great state of Texas. As you all are very well aware, from the moment I was birthed to the moment I graduated from Boerne High School (go Greyhounds) I resided in Boerne, TX. Growing up in a small Texas town was fantastic. As much as I hate on it I really did like it.

Moving from Texas has been quite the experience. You realize how big headed and obnoxious most Texans are when you leave. You learn a lot about how much people hate Texas and anything/anybody having to do with the state. But yet, there are so many Texas references in your everyday life. Trust me. Texas toast, Willie Nelson, The Cowboys, court cases, stupid people doing stupid things. The list could go on. If you start paying attention to it, it will drive you crazy. At least, that is what is happening to me.

Some days I do genuinely miss Texas. I miss the wide open space, the unbelievable sunsets, the people, the food, the blue bonnets, Texas Football, and yes even the heat. I don't care what people say, no matter how hard you try it is almost impossible to not feel some pride for your home state. I am no different. I am very prideful about certain things about Texas. That being said I am also embarrassed by a lot of things 'Texas.' Just to give you an idea I selected some of the most absurd bumper stickers I could find. It all become clear as to why people hate Texas so much:







Honestly, if I had never been/lived in Texas I would hate us too. Yep, I said us. As much as I am legally a North Carolina resident on paper, my heart will always belong in Texas. There is no way to fight it. That doesn't mean I can't ever love another place just as much, it just means every once in awhile I will stand up and defend that crazy place I called home for so long.

Texas is crazy. I will be first in line to stay that. But I love that about it. It is what makes it so... "special."



Fun Fact: The "Don't Mess With Texas" slogan was actually first used for Texas' big anti-litter campaign in the 80's. It literally meant "don't mess it up." Well, obviously some really cool people decided that they should use it in other ways. Hence why the world hates us.

Not that you care anyways! hahahaha. case in point


No comments:

Post a Comment