Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Facing Your Giants





This past Sunday I woke up feeling no motivation to go to church what so ever (don't worry, this doesn't happen too often). So instead I slept in (I needed that), made breakfast and set about cleaning up my room. While cleaning I listened to a couple of sermons by Max Lucado. Love him. One was titled "Facing Your Giants." He gave that sermon in 2005 and since I used to attend his lovely church in San Antonio, I'm pretty sure I heard it. Heard it but never actually listened to it.

On surface level it is the story about David and Goliath from 1 Samuel. Blah Blah Blah. Puny David, big smelly strong dude named Goliath. David has Jesus so David kills the big smelly strong dude and everybody is happy!
Ok so that is no exactly how I have viewed the story but that is how mundane it can become in my head.

But this time was different. I guess I never bothered to pay attention to the details. That Max Lucado, he is so good about pulling out the details and piercing your heart with them.

There is a part in the story of David and Goliath when Saul is telling David he only a boy and a sheep herder and he can't possibly go and fight a giant man with lots of big weapons. David tells him "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." This is about the time I actually started paying attention. Because all of the sudden it clicked. God has delivered me from a lot of bears and lions in my life why can't he deliver me from this Philistine in my life right now. That Philistine being the death of my 16 year old brother almost a year ago.

As easy as it sounded coming out of my mouth, it is hard to really accept. But there is so much truth to it.

And the story goes on....

Fast forward to when David goes out to meet Goliath with only 5 small stones and his trusty sling shot. AND as Goliath thunders toward him not only does he get ready to fire his little stones, he runs TOWARD Goliath. Not only did he run toward him he apparently ran quickly toward Goliath. If it had been me, I would have found a nice spot to sit and sniper off Goliath as he was looking for me. But no, David stands up tall in the face of adversity and runs to meet the Giant with Jesus and his sling shot. And what do you know?? He kills him!

Then Max proceeds to focus in on the stones. He proceeds to give the stones labels which aren't really found in the Bible but which I found very interesting. He uses a hand and 5 fingers as a reference point so hang with me.

1) Thumb- PAST
-look to the 'bears' and 'lions' in your past that God has brought you through
2) Pointer-PRAYER
-pray like crazy.
3) Middle finger- PRIORITY
-what is taking priority? is it Jesus?
4) Ring finger- PASSIONATE
-be passionate about life. Sad, happy, angry. Whatever. use it to attack the giants
5) Pinkie - PERSISTANCE
-keep pursuing God. Keep standing up, even when it seems impossible to go on. Jesus will be right there

One last thing: He threw out this word 'Paraclete.' It is a greek word translated to "called to one's side." Basically like the Holy Spirit. It was used in the original translation of this passage. I liked it.

This all being said, I realized that I was tired of running and hiding from my giant(s), even the little things. I want to be able to stand up and run towards them knowing that I am not alone. Even when I fall (which WILL happen) and get bumped and scraped along the way, I know that I will be delivered through them. Even if it isn't always the ways through which I want to go.

Tonight as I was preparing a mini-Bible study lesson for some High School girls tomorrow, I came across the notes I'd taken on this sermon. Too good to pass up and exactly what I needed this week.

"The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and
the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine."
-1 Samuel 17: 37



Time to run towards those giants....

No comments:

Post a Comment