Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How Did YOU Get Into College?

So this semester I am taking a class called The Nature of Mathematics. We "learn" things like logic and arguments. We will also learn alot of real life stuff like budgets, mortgages and stuff... I was told it was a really great class and since I didn't want to have to sit through a semester of Pre-Cal or Calculus, I decided to give it a try. Let's just say I have a major love-hate relationship with that class.

I guess I should point out that this class is for all of the people who, like me, didn't want to take a real math class. My professor is very smart and nice but teaches the class like we already know what he is talking about. This adds a layer of hilarity for sure. He is also the proud owner (very, very, proud) owner of UNCA's live mascot, Rocky the Bulldog. AND he brings Rocky to class at least once a week. To be honest Bulldogs have never been my favorite animals. I think it has to do with the fact that like blood hounds, basset hounds, and any animal of that nature, he constantly has slobber hanging from his mouth. I sit in the front row and have been snotted on several times. This is never a highlight to my day. Why don't I just move you might ask? Well, I have pay rent for a seat I sit in and of course the front seats are the cheapest. My professor treats class like real life. We get a salary each day we show up and sometimes disasters happen that cause us to lose our "money." Point being, I don't make enough money to avoid being snotted on. The best part of this class would have to be Snack Fridays which happens 2 times a month. Yes, my college money is being put to great use.

I guess the real reason for this post is to discuss the ever so smart people in my class. I cannot remember all of the highly intellegent comments made in this class but I can tell you every class I hang my head and shake it in amazement that some of these people actually made it to college. A few highlights: (WARNING!! one of these is kind of profane. do excuse me.)

Prof: "He's a nut bag" (referring to some politician)
girl: "is that nut bag the same thing as testicals?? (no, I am not kidding)

Prof: "When there is a sale and a sign says 30% off and then another sign says additional 20% off what is the total savings?"
girl: "50%!!!%" (i know this is kind of mean but really, we learned this in middle school i do believe)

Prof: "Today we are going to learn how count."
girl: "But I already know how to count." (probably one of those 'had to be there' moments but never the less, an example"

Anyways, you get the picture. There is also a guy who sits over my left shoulder who I want to tell to be quiet every class because he is constantly arguing with the Professor every day in a loud and obnoxious voice. He also has a guy that looks like he could be his little brother in the class. They always have on matching bandanas around their necks like they have just come from robbing a bank or something.

Something I enjoy about this class is that I can make as many wise cracks as I want and be as obnoxious as I want and I fit right in. I apparently always make good comments because one day I didn't say anything and a girl asked me if I was feeling okay. so maybe I should back off a bit huh?

This class meets 4 days a week so I have plenty of entertainment to go around. I probably pick on the class too much but seriously, it is unreal the crazy things that happen in that class which is again, another reason why i love it.

I feel like all of these people can be summed up by this wonderful Far Side comic by Gary Larson (a favorite for sure)


Enough said...

2 comments:

  1. So if Rocky barks, do you get out of class early? Oh, the joys of being at A&M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that would be nice. unfortunately not...i don't think this dog has ever barked. maybe i should provoke it

    ReplyDelete