Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Swirly, Whirly, Tornado of a Summer

This summer has been the busiest summer of my short 19 years. I am used to traveling here and there during the summers with my family but I most definitely broke the record for most places visited in 8 weeks or so. I kicked summer off by running a 15K (9.3 miles) race with my good friend Leslie Sloan at the Biltmore House in Asheville. It was incredible. We finished in about 78 minutes. Here is us being very serious runners in front of the Biltmore House:




I went back to Boerne, TX for a few days before I continued on with my summer adventure. Here is a family pic outside of Fredericksburg, TX. We visited the Bat Cave there.


all but one...


After visiting home, I volunteered at a Young Life camp outside of Fraser, CO called Crooked Creek Ranch. I was a baker in the kitchen for 3 weeks making desserts and breads for 600 people plus! I must have eaten enough chocolate chip cookie dough for a hundred people while I was there. It was so amazing! God used that time to help me to dig deeper and to show me that He is ultimately in control of my life. Here are a few pictures from this awesome time:


me and my baker friends :)



a view of the camp. gorgeous!

After Crooked Creek I came back to Asheville and then traveled to Memphis, TN to help Lisa and Mitchell Moore (my aunt and uncle) get settled in their new house. I spent a week there helping unpack and playing with my four adorable cousins, Lauren (8), Cora (6), Tucker (4), and Ben (almost 2). It was a great week but only one stop in the rest of my summer.

I then returned to Asheville where I boarded a bus with about 65 or so High School kids and traveled to Saranac Village, a Young Life camp in upper state New York. It was an amazing week and was my first experience at summer camp as a Young Life leader. My girls were wonderful
and Saranac was even more beautiful than I had imagined. Once again, here are few pictures:


on the parasail boat



classic jumping shot in front of the lake


the whole group!

After Saranac I was back to Memphis where I currently am right now. I will have spent a total of a month here in Memphis hanging out with some of my favorite family exploring the city and hanging out.



me with the Moore kids after they gave me a lovely makeover


I head back to Asheville on Saturday the 15th of August. I will move into my dorm on the 16th and then start classes the 17th of August. I can not believe that I will be a Sophomore in college. This summer has been crazy but I would not have had it any other way.

So there you go. Keep reading in the future for updates on what is happening to me at school this fall and beyond!



1 comment: