Monday, August 10, 2009

Elvis Week 2009

Yes, I am in the land of Elvis Presley, The King of Rock and Roll. I have been here in Memphis, TN a month and have not visited Graceland and probably never will but I have the great pleasure to be here during Elvis week. People are really crazy about keeping his memory alive. Just for kicks you should check out the schedule of events at http://www.elvisweek.com/

It is absolutely insane. I am sorry if I am offending any Elvis fanatics out there but this stuff is crazy. A Candlelight Vigil, meditation walks, many celebration concerts, and even events for the kids! It amazes me how many people attend these events.
The "Elvis obsession" is so crazy that there is a man in Holly Springs, Mississippi (which is about 30 minutes south of Memphis) who left his wife and son and dedicated his entire house to honoring Elvis. No joke, his house is called Graceland Too and no, I am not making this up. Google it. I did have the honor of going to Holly Springs this past Saturday. Apparently this guy opens his house to the public 24 hours a day and loves giving tours. The outside of his house is surrounded by a high security fence covered in razor wire and decorated with fake Christmas trees with tube lights. The front even slightly resembles the front of the actual Graceland though not nearly as pristine looking. The amount of craziness on the outside only foreshadows the chaos on the inside, this I am certain. Unfortunately Paul McLeod, the owner, was not home when we tried to go. No amount of door banging and hollering could get us in. I guess this means that I will most certainly be making another trip to Holly Springs in my lifetime. Here are some pictures that I found online. Notice the many similarities. The picture of Graceland Too is not up to date but you get the idea.


Graceland



Graceland Too


Its amazing what people will devote their entire lives to.


No comments:

Post a Comment