Monday, October 31, 2011

That Day We Walked Off The Map

Today was one of the best days I have had since coming to Spain. And that is saying something considering I have done some unbelievably amazing things.

We had a five day weekend this weekend (yes Mom and Dad, I am actually learning things). Most of my friends traveled to other places across Europe this weekend. I spent a fare amount of money in Italy and decided it would be best to maybe stay put in Granada and explore the city a little. So Friday, I shopped. For anyone that really knows me it is like pulling teeth to get me to go shopping a lot of the times. Especially when I have to spend money. But not this time. I spent the entire day in and out of stores trying on cute clothes. It was so fun. I even bought things! Saturday we went on a group tour of a neighbor in the area. Sunday I slept in and spent the day mostly around the house. But today, my friends Sam, Georgia, Molly, and I decided we needed to go hiking. Music to my ears. The only thing was we had no plan. I had heard there was some hiking within walking distance from the city center so we decided to just start walking and see where we ended up. So we picked a direction and started walking. And this is where we ended up...


















Yeah. How crazy is it that I can literally walk out my front door and end up here by foot. I would do this everyday if time allowed. Since being here I have realized how much I long to be outside. How much I love the mountains. And that I have a God who has been gracious to me and knows that I love being out in the world he created. It was no accident I grew up going to Colorado, that I landed in Asheville, NC for college and that now I am in Granada, Spain at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Call it what you want, but I believe it is all purposeful and not just a coincidence. 

A smile has not left my face all day. I am already planning how fast I can get back up into those hills. Because my heart is not satisfied in the city. It never will be. I crave space, greenery, mountains, and fresh air. I love nature because I cannot ignore the hand that created it. I cannot ignore the face of Jesus when I am amongst his creation. I am blessed to have to opportunity to be in the very middle of it. 

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech; 
night after night they display his knowledge.
There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard. Their
voice goes out into all the earth, 
their words to the ends of the world. 
-Psalm 19:1-4


No comments:

Post a Comment