Tuesday, October 25, 2011

All things Italy

It is amazing how time just slips away from you sometimes. I feel like that last few weeks have been crazy but amazing. I returned last Monday night from my 10 day adventure in Italy. It was so awesome I don't know if I have the words to accurately describe it. I had 3 days of class last week and then headed to Sevilla and Cordoba, Spain with my program group. I'll save that for another post. Then Sunday night I got sick. Got worse yesterday and spent the whole day in bed with the most painful sore throat i have ever experienced before I stopped being brave and told my host mom what was happening. She and her daughter diagnosed me with strep throat and immediately rushed off to get antibiotics which I have now been taking like it is my job. Slept through class this morning but thankful woke up and no longer had a fever. Just a throat that feels like someone has sliced it with a knife. So today, I am spending the day catching up on my cyber life.

And back to Italy...for those of you who did not see my 300 pictures on Facebook, here a few for you to catch a glimpse of the amazing time i had
 Me at the beginning of the hiking trail between five italian costal villages. More commonly known as Chinque Terre. This beauty of this place was far beyond the well over 100 pictures i took in one day






the gang. 

grapefruit gelato and pesto, a fantastic start to my Italian experience

 our view for the sunset that night in Rio Maggiore. It was one of the prettiest i've seen

stayed the night outside of La Spezia, Italy and took an early morning train to Florence. I stayed in Florence for 5 days and saw everything from Michelangelo's 'David' sculpture to the Duomo. Went on a wine tasting that lasted the entire day, watched 3 sunsets over Florence, ate more gelato than I should have, and fell in love with Italy. need evidence?

our great hostel in Florence. It looks crazy, but believe me, it was perfect.

 Duomo- so big..


And yes, we did go eat at the pizza place that the cast of Jersey Shore worked at while they filmed in Florence. It was delicious. And i only saw 3 native English speaking people there. We felt like it was a must, being so close and all.

the ladies on our free walking tour of Florence.

pear and dark chocolate gelato at 11AM. 

dome of the Duomo

Florence skyline from Michelangelo Plazza

Wine tour! Chianti Classico region in Tuscany. Italy apparently has 600 types of grapes...my mind was boggled
 first winery

second winery with our guide, Mateo. We also had honey and the best olive oil i have ever had in my entire life

second winery. this place has been open since the 1500's.

the end of our day in the Tuscany region. 

beginnings of a sunset of Florence after an incredible day in the Tuscany region


copy of 'David.' the real thing is incredible in real life. 

Florence. goodbye for now


While staying in Florence we took a day trip to Pisa to see the tower and also to a town called Lucca of which I had never heard but will certainly be returning to at some point in my life..

how could you visit the tower and not take a pic like this?

seriously, they aren't kidding when they say this thing leans


Lucca at sunset




Lucca, i will be back..


The last stop on our agenda was Rome. I must say it took me about a half of a day to get adjusted to being there. We were able to see all of the major sights while we were there. Sistine Chapel, colosseum, Roman Forum, St. Peter Basilica, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain... It was such an surreal experience to be actually seeing some of the most famous landmarks and history on this earth. Even though there were thousands upon thousands of people in these places, somehow i was able to get lost in the magnificence of it all, the grandeur of what has been. It is pretty unbelievable the more I think about it.





Rafael School of Athens. fun fact: this is aslo painted on a giant wall in the Student Union at UNCA. 

St. Peter's Basilica

 inside

 the BEST gelato of the trip. Old Bridge Gelateria. Strawberry and Lemon. I ate there 3 times in 3 hours. it's a long story....i do not regret it

a castle. it was cool.

Occupy Wall Street (rome), protests against the italian government, crazy people rioting in the streets. don't worry, i was safely away from the cars that got fire bombed and caused this fire


Roman Forum




the main attraction...


I honestly felt so strange standing here smiling. And of course, I came home to Spain and watched Gladiator..

check it out, the old and the new..

those Spanish Steps
Thank you for reading the longest blog post of your life. Ironically being in Italy made me even more excited about being in Spain and learning Spanish. I heard so many languages on our trip. It was a fantastic experience. History seems to have more of a tangible meaning to me, at least this small sliver. I also know how to use the Italian train system very, very well. 
I am so glad that I have the opportunity to be abroad for almost a year and to take trips like this one. I still have to shake my head sometimes to make sure that this is all real. And it is. Every bit of it. And for that, I am thankful.

1 comment: