Saturday, January 1, 2011

Laaaaater 2010

2010 New Year's Eve was probably the best yet. And the funny thing was I spent it doing things I really don't ever do. I spent the night with my family Two Stepping in a dancehall located in the heart of small town Texas. Yep. There probably isn't anything more stereotypical that I could have done. I spent my whole life here in Boerne, TX and never really appeared in the dancehall scene. Part of me thinks I missed out on alot but the other part me tells me that I now get to appreciate it even more for what it is.

Growing up we have never really gone crazy about the New Year. We do all of the traditional things like eat tamales, toasts with Martinelli's, and black eye peas on occasion. This year my parents took a big leap and decided to something crazy. They bought tickets to a BBQ, live music, and dance in Sisterdale, TX. A few things you should know about Sisterdale. It is old, very old. It is out in the middle of nowhere, and it's population is about 13. The dancehall is one of about 4 building that makes up the 'town,' a winery, old cotton gin, bar, and dancehall. And it is absolutely gorgeous. The most involvement I have had with this lovely place was driving through on the way to somewhere or stopping at their small store to pick up ice on our way to a fishing adventure.

The dancehall in Sisterdale up until this past year was fairly rundown but still usable. It was recently sold and the couple who bought it fixed it up very nicely and have recently opened it again. So my parents bought tickets along with our friends Pete and Lori Johnson and their kids. We all dressed in our finest Texas attire (you know the stuff) and headed out for what promised to be a most interesting night.

I can't seem to find any pictures of the remodeled dancehall but I found a few of the old one and the landscape around the area:


Sisterdale Bar

winery! this is on my list of places to visit at some point

This is the old dancehall exterior

Here is the website to the dancehall if you are just super bored. haha

I have to say, it was one of the finest nights I have had in Texas since leaving for college in the mountains of North Carolina. The stars were bright, the music was loud, the food good, and the old people really drunk. All joking aside it is good to remember your roots every now and then. The band was actually pretty good and I polished up on my Texas Two Stepping skills once again. The BBQ was delicious and made me never want to touch any other again (that's right, you too NC). Succulent Texas smoked brisket, cream corn, green beans, and of course a loaf of white bread to go with it accompanied by an iced tea. Let's just say the servers in the buffet line and I became very very good friends.

After dinner the dancing began. People are always a little shy but once they have enjoyed a few longnecks and glasses of hill country wine the night begins. I was whirled and twirled around my the Johnson's son Dan. I even danced with my lovely Dad. The most dancing that I have done in a very long time. Made me wish I had someone to go dancing with more often.

After about 3 hours of that we decided to run across the street to the saloon to play darts and shuffle board while we waited for the midnight toast. That was a most wonderful experience. I miss drunk old men giving you advice on how to keep creepy men away and telling you that you are "damn good" at everything.

We then headed back to the dance hall for 1 more hour of dancing. Then toasts to the new year. But wait! There was more! Breakfast tacos and black eye peas for all!! It was hilarious to watch a bunch of drunk people fighting over bacon and egg breakfast tacos. 1am breakfast tacos never tasted so good.

This trip really has been good. Good to be with family and good to be here in Boerne, TX. For the first time I have truly appreciated where I grew up. I have spent the last 2.5 years trying to run from it. While I don't see myself moving back anytime soon I will continue to appreciate my visits.

One day more...then heading back to those western North Carolina mountains.



"The road goes on forever and the party never ends!"
-Robert Earl Keen

And now...I promise to be quiet about Texas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment