Sunday, September 5, 2010

I Did That


One thing about me: I have never tapped into my "creative" side very much in life. In fact, I would say for the longest time I was probably the most uncreative/artsy person you know. Put in no motivation, and lack of funds and you've got a real mess on your hands. But seriously, it was awful. I use 'awful' because since coming back from Colorado this summer I was suddenly strangely motivated to "do things." Like by a dust ruffle, hang up a picture, look for "cute" things for my room. Look out.

This summer my friend Virginia Evans got married and is now Virginia Leppo. The guy she married is really great and I know they will have a fantastic life together. I bring her into this post to say that I borrowed a dresser from her in January and just never got around to getting another one. For lots of reasons.

I headed out to Colorado this summer thinking I would only be gone for 4 weeks. WRONG! Ended up staying for almost 11 weeks. Worth it. That being said Virginia got married and came and collected her dresser. Rightfully so. I returned home with no dresser and no money to spend on one.

I spent about a week hopelessly looking for one and then all of the sudden 3 free dressers fell in my lap. I snatched up one of them thanks to my friend Sarah Spooner and immediately began thinking about what to paint it. Here is the only 'before' picture i have of the dresser. It was already primed so that was nice.



Much to my surprise, the word "yellow" immediately popped into my head as a possible color to paint it. This is laughable b/c I never in a million years would have thought to paint MY dresser yellow. Then Leslie Sloan sent me a website with a dresser on it that had been painted 'Mustard Seed Yellow.' I decided to go for it.

Saturday I made the journey to Lowe's to gather all of the necessary materials for this Labor Day Weekend Project. I was very successful except for the small fact that Lowe's ran out of the paint base I needed. Fail. So I went to Home Depot. They have better paint anyways. I found the exact color I wanted and left the store with enough to paint 10 dressers. I tend to spill things so I thought I should just get enough to go around.

Brought all the supplies and my friend Deanna back to my apartment and began to paint the heck out of that thing.

On top of painting my dresser as a project this weekend I was also dog sitting. In between coats I would run into town, feed/let out the dog and then run back to keep painting. It was quite comical.

When it was all said and done, this is what I have:



Not bad eh? I'm not even going to pretend that I am not proud of it. For all of you artsy fartsy people, this is legit for me. My sisters both have awesome artistic ability and some how I was too busy running around with no shirt until I was 7, playing basketball 24/7, and playing 'army man' in the woods to even appreciate the finer things in life. I think I've come a long way from that.

At least, I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment