Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Jacob's Ladder?


So during my 3 weeks as a store girl we sold lots of magic wallets. If you have never heard of such a thing, Google it. Or not, because then it would probably lose it's magic. But anyways....

This is the box the wallets came in:


The line "works like Jacob's Ladder" is important because that is what this entire post is about.

To continue, I always thought it was so crazy that this product had this tag line on it. I grew up in Church and heard almost every Bible story including the section in Genesis where Jacob has a dream and in it is a ladder that was actually technically a stairway but who is counting? And so the story in my mind has always been "Jacob's Ladder."

Everyday in the store I seriously tried to figure out how the heck a magic wallet could have anything to do with a Bible story. I brainstormed a 'things in common' list. This is what I came up with.

-God is pretty powerful so he created real magic (which I think is better than Harry Potter)
-Jacob's ladder/stairway with angels must have looked magical

That's it. The list was obviously not long and the only real thing in common was that I used the words magic/magical multiple times.

For over a month I have been wrestling with this connection. But my questions have been answered thanks to Sarah Edmondson, my former store intern now turned room mate. She explained to me that there is a toy called 'Jacob's Ladder.'

I was very confused but once she described to me this toy:

I understood completely! This was one of my favorite toys ever! It is such an awesome optical illusion. If for some strange reason you have no idea what I'm talking about you can watch a 3 minute video on the operation of it here.

So then It all made sense. The wallet works the same way as this toy! Amazing. So thank you Sarah for enlightening me.

Now is the time where you can all laugh at me and my very, very blond moment (I of course mean this in a loving way to all blonds in the world)

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment