Thursday, March 4, 2010

Road Trip

So last night on an episode of The Middle (Wed 8:30/7:30c on ABC) the family on the show went on a road trip. I could not find a video to show you but it was basically the classic road trip scene with kids and much obnoxious but still laughable singing.

It definitely made me think about all of the places my parents took us as kids (hopefully many more places to come. hint, hint Mom and Dad). Every summer was spent hauling our 29 foot travel trailer everywhere across the US and even to Vancouver one summer. Yes, all seven of us would pile into a car and spend hours and hours together in cramped spaces watching VHS movies on our 9 inch TV complete with computer speakers that was strapped between my parents in the front (this was before portable DVD players, at least I think so).

We would drive all day(s) and sometimes into the night to get to our destination of choice. We would get so sick and tired of each other that we would literally kiss the ground when we would arrive at the final stop. One thing about these road trips is that you were never aloud to voice the fact that you had to pee. Stops waste time, the more stops you have the more time you have to spend in the car. I used to think my mother was crazy for it but after doing some road tripping of my own, I have come to realize she is not crazy, merely trying to save every minute she could. To entertain ourselves we listened to many audio something or others including many things from Focus on the Family, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and so on. There was also lots of NPR listening that occurred. If there were places we frequented often, my parents memorized the NPR stations for these areas. Being a kid I did not particularly care for Diane Rehm's voice or Talk of the Nation, or the hourly news. So I would try and listen to my portable CD player as loud as I could. Rest stops were timed and we always ate in the car. Getting to our destination quickly was always the name of the game. Five kids, a dog, and two parents can obviously quickly grow tired of being in close proximity with each other

These road trips are some of my favorite memories growing up. They took us to so many places it would take forever to name them all. A few included Yellowstone National Park, Oregon, Washington, many National Forests in Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arizona, Georgia, and Vancouver. That's right. We pulled our 29-foot travel trailer from Boerne, TX up through Oregon and Washington right on in to Canada. It was so amazing!

I always loved visiting these places and being able to mark off what states we had visited or driven through. We even had one of those maps on the side of our travel trailer where you could fill in the states you had visited.

Out of all of these places we traveled Colorado was always my favorite. To this day my favorite spot is at a place called Taylor Park Colorado. It is about 35 miles from Gunnison and right over Cottonwood Pass which comes out of Buena Vista, CO. They have a few camp gorunds there and we would spend several weeks every summer waking up at the crack of dawn to fish, hike, explore the woods, and ride my grandparents 4-wheelers. It was always the favorite part of my summer. It was always where I felt the happiest and most free. It established a deep rooted love for Colorado that to this day still exists inside of me. Here are a few pics from over the years:


This is the 2nd of our trailers we had. And Pearl, our diesel Excursion that hauled us across America for many years before we traded her in for a mini-van (swagger wagon)


The greatest place ever. Taylor Park Reservoir


the only "store" for miles. always crazy people here


this is one of my favorite pics. top of the Continental Divide. taken right after we took a "short cut" that led us literally straight up a mountain.

These were times when our family was all together and we got to enjoy just being with each other. Since my brother's death it has been hard to realize that we will not ever all truly be together here on earth. John freaking loved all of these places just as much if not more than I did. Whenever I go to these places I will remember him fondly and all of those times with my family, the good and the bad. the fighting and the laughing. The campfires, timed showers, fishing, agonizing waits to get up in the morning, fighting over the bunk beds and who would get the dog at night, and all those hours spent in the car. Together. Everything and all of it I would not trade for the world.

2 comments:

  1. Love this.
    Love you.
    Would love to someday take a roadtrip.
    With you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREETINGS AND FAITHFUL SAYINGS:

    Greetings to one and all: In that most precious name. That name which is above every name, the name: "Jesus" ____There's tremendous power in that name. I'd suppose we'll never fully realize all that can truly be accomplished, by us simply calling out that name n true faith.____There's an old, old, gospel song that goes like this: Faith in the Father, faith in the Son, faith in the Holy Spirit, great victories are won. Demons will tremble andsinners will awake, faith in Jehovah will anything shake.____For you who have never come into this realization, if you're reading this, just give him a welcome into your heart and life. You will both feel and see an awesome difference. You will have also purchased the ticket to heaven (by accepting, therefore making him welcome to come into your life. You will also sup from His cup that contains living water. (As did the woman at the well of Bethesda.) John 4:10____Much love, ____Your brother in Christ Jesus, who is both our Lord, and Savior.____www.eloquentbooks.com/BeyondTheGoldenSunsetAndByT... "http://www.eloquentbooks.com/OffToVisitTheProphetElijah____" ...

    ReplyDelete