Friday, April 8, 2011

Go Spurs Go!!


As we all know I am a San Antonio Spurs fan. Have been as long as I can remember. I always get made fun of here for being one because no one really likes the NBA so I try not to be too overly obnoxious. I don't like the NBA too much, I mostly just like the Spurs. All growing up I went to game after game after game. Some of my best memories. The announcers are so fun and the Coyote (official mascot) is super entertaining. The music is fun and there are so many cheers to keep the fans involved Also, the Spurs are San Antonio's only major sports team. Literally the entire city loves the Spurs. The team spirit is unbelievable and the AT&T center is pretty much full every game. It is hard to describe the pride I have for them to people who have never been to a home Spurs game. Too me it is even different than loving a college team or having a favorite team in general. It runs deeper than that. Call me crazy but it literally is the team that I have cheered for through thick and thin.

This week I had a different Spurs experience. My friend, Megan, lives in Atlanta, Georgia and is also a huge Spurs fan. We have bonded tremendously over this and other things. In February she asked me if I would like to come to see them play the Hawks in April. I said yes. She then told me I didn't have to buy my ticket. Unbelievable this girl. For two months we had a countdown going, it was hilarious and probably annoying to everyone else.

This week was the big day. I left class on Tuesday and drove from Asheville to Atlanta. Megan and I went to Taco Cabana for dinner. Yep! there is one lone TC in Atlanta that somehow continues to survive. Sometimes I think it is there just for me. Then we headed to the Arena. The whole time I had no idea where our seats were going to be. Megan wanted it to be a surprise and so I let it be one. We walked around for a few minutes before descending towards the floor. I still had no idea where we were going. All of the sudden I heard the words "floor seats" and and I was super pumped. THEN I looked up and realized not only did we have floor seats but they were front row, directly behind the Spurs bench!! I cannot lie. I was literally in shock. Even Megan who had purchased the tickets, was in shock. There is no way to describe it except to say, it was awesome. We were so close.

Close enough to reach out and touch every player (if not for the security guards).

Close enough to read all of their tattoos and to see Manu's bald spot up close and personal.

Close enough to literally be standing up and part of the huddle every time a full timeout was called.

Close enough to rest drinks on their team water cooler (before we were caught).

Close enough to get Tim Duncan to smile at us and George Hill to turn around and stare deep into our souls.

Close enough to see hear Tony's accent and coach Greg Popovich get very angry.

Close enough to personally encourage each player. Especially Tiago..

Need proof? (all photos courtesy of Megan herself)..my camera is still broken




















We even had better seats than Danny Ferry! he used to play
for the Spurs.


The night was unbelievable! and one I am sure never to forget. Megan and I had so much fun cheering and laughing and yelling. I apparently was on TV a alot in San Antonio. Several friends told me as much. There were two younger guys sitting next to us who provided just as much entertainment as the game itself.

I have never felt so involved in a game before. I can't even count the number of Spurs games I have been in attendance at but this one pretty much topped almost every single one of them in respect to closeness to the players.
At the end of the game we ran over for high fives. George Hill was the only one who stopped to give us one but honestly, he was the only one we were really hoping for. Perfection.

It was so fun to be there and it to feel like a quasi-night in Texas. Megan is super fun and awesome. I have been to Atlanta twice in the past year and have yet to be disappointed!

It was also very fun to talk about afterwards. I have replayed the whole game and looked at the pictures (all of which were taken my Megan) so many times just to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

So far, it might have been the overall best night of 2011.

Here's to you Megan Hafer!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment