Sunday, June 27, 2010

Camp Food







So Young Life camps, in my opinion, have the best "camp food" ever. Not like your typical summer camp that serves hot dogs, sloppy joes, and mystery meat. Thankfully they don't serve things that look like the picture above. Just looking at it make me want to barf. We are talking full spreads of chicken (a favorite at most camps), potatoes, green beans, salad, and delicious bread. AND of course there is dessert EVERY lunch and dinner. These are meals that high school kids go home and talk about (in a good way) for weeks. Take that camp-that-must-not-be-named-near-huntsville texas. The one thing about Young Life camp food is that it has repetition. It is the same menu week in and week out during the summer. Delicious but non the less, repetitious.

So I happen to love camp food but this week I have been trying my very best to eat all the non-camp food I can. My reason being I am on "vacation." I just spent 3 weeks at Frontier Ranch eating awesome food but I will return there tomorrow to eat 6 more weeks of camp food. So this week I promised myself that I would stay away from as much camp food as possible. I did a fairly good job but in doing so I ate so much junk food it is unbelievable. Here is a list of a few things I have devoured while here at Crooked Creek Ranch:

-Ramen noodles
-gummy bears
-canned soup-
-powdered sugar donuts (whole bag by myself essentially in 3 days)
-crackers
-gummy bears
-thai food!!!
-sour patch kids
-bagels (said like Britta on the TV show Community)
-gummy bears

0k you get the picture.

I really honestly do like camp food and Stu Nelson here at Crooked Creek and Brandon Tattershall at Frontier do an amazing job serving up some delicious spreads.

I have been into Fraser everyday to grab some sort of snack to appease my junk food craving.

Like I mentioned above, I leave to go back to Frontier for the rest of the summer. I will be working in one of their 2 offices. I will be living with the interns (year long and summer). I have no idea what to expect, exactly what my job is, what it will be like to be there fore almost 2 more months, BUT I know that it is where I am being called to be.
I had hoped to spend a summer in amazing Asheville, NC but instead I have the opportunity to spend an entire summer (11 weeks) in the wonderful state of Colorado.

Speaking of being in Colorado. Being in this amazing state, floating from Young Life camp to Young Life camp, I have been able to think about things a little more and go a little deeper with God. I have obviously been thinking about John alot in good ways, something I was having a hard time doing before because I was drowning in sadness.
A few days I was flipping through Psalm and I got stuck on these verses:


"He reached down from on high and took hold of me;
He drew me out of deep waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy,
from my foes, who were too strong
for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster,
but the LORD was my support.
He brought me out into a spacious
place;
he rescued me because he delighted in me."
-Psalm 18:16-19

Favorite line "He brought me into out into a spacious place.." He certainly has brought me into a spacious place and apparently is not ready for me to leave yet. So I will go, I will continue to sit in this spacious place he has so graciously brought me to.






1 comment:

  1. sounds like you're in a good place in all ways. Love you Amy Noll!

    ReplyDelete